Delicious Ways to Enjoy Peaches in Salad, Punch, and Bread
Peaches are my favorite fruit and as we head into the height of the season, my thoughts turn to ways to enjoy them. If you are a peach lover like me, here are some recipes for you to enjoy. Fresh Peach Salad is a great way to enjoy this delicious fruit. Parties are enhanced when you serve Peach and Ginger Ale Punch. For a real treat with your coffee, brunch, etc, you really need to try this wonderful Peach Bread.
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 2 T. sugar (or Splenda for diabetics)
- 2 T. mayo type of salad dressing
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 to 4 ripe peaches, halved
- 6 or 8 fresh lettuce leaves
Place one peach half on each lettuce leaf. Gently combine the whipped cream, grapes, sugar, nuts, and salad dressing. Divide the mixture evenly among the peach halves, filling the peach cavities.
For best results, serve immediately.
- Yields: 6-8 servings
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 pkg (3-oz) peach-flavored gelatin
- 1 can (29-oz) peach slices in light syrup
- 4 cans (11.3-oz each) peach nectar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 8 bottles (10-oz each) ginger ale
In a large saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and peach gelatin. Bring to a boil while stirring to dissolve the sugar and gelatin.
Place the peach slices with syrup in blender container. Cover and blend until smooth. In an extra-large bowl, combine the hot mixture with the pureed peaches, peach nectar and lemon juice. Divide the mixture into four 1-quart freezeable containers and freeze overnight. (May be frozen for up to 3 months.)
At serving time, place one or more of the frozen containers at room temperature for 1 hour. (Each container makes six servings.) Break mixture into chunks with a large fork. Place in a punch bowl and stir in two bottles of ginger ale per container of peach mixture.
- Yields: 24 servings, divided
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups very ripe peaches, mashed and drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 T. butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the peaches, egg, and butter, mix together. In another bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt and baking soda; stir into the peach mixture. When flour is mixed in, stir in the nuts. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Let stand for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees while the batter sets. Bake in the 375 degree oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until browned. Allow to cool in the pan 15 minutes before removing. Allow to cool on a wire rack until cooled completely.
Note: I believe this bread is actually better the day after baking. Also this bread freezes well. Wrap in plastic wrap, then place in a ziptop freezer bag.
- Yields: 1 loaf bread
- Preparation Time: 90 minutes