- 3 Chioggia beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 T. finely chopped basil
- 1 T. sliced green onion
- 3 ounces softened chèvre (goat cheese)
- 6 slices baguette, toasted
- 1 ounce thinly sliced excellent cheese, I used Pleasant Ridge Reserve from Uplands Cheese
- Drizzle of balsamic glaze
Peel and cut the beets into small pieces; toss with one teaspoon of olive oil. Place in the basket of an air fryer and cook for 15-20 minutes at 400° F or until fully cooked and browned a bit.
While the beets are roasting, combine the remaining olive oil (2 teaspoons), kosher salt, black pepper, chopped garlic, crushed red pepper, red wine vinegar, basil, and green onion to make a dressing. Toss the beets with the dressing and set aside.
Spread a generous bit of chèvre on each of the 6 slices of baguette. Spoon a generous bit of the beet mixture onto each slice of baguette and top with a thin slice of excellent cheese. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze and serve.
- Yields: 2-3 appetizer servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes