Greeting readers and welcome to Momma Gert's Place.
Wow. What a very interesting spring this has been this year. We have been up to our heads and beyond with colds, flu, and pneumonia in my neck of the woods. Nevertheless, we are a fighting breed and still refuse to give in to anything.
Because so many have been sick, I wanted to offer you Minestrone Soup, Ham and Cheese Strata, and Butter Pecan Banana Cake this issue. I hope you enjoy (and get better)!
- 2 packages (16 ounce each) frozen vegetables and pasta in garlic
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable juice cocktail
- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounce each) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon and pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large crock pot. Cover and cook on low for four to six hours or on high for two to three hours.
- Yields: 8 servings
- Preparation Time: 4 hours and 45 minutes
- 12 white bread slices
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Place six bread slices on bottom of 12 by 8 inch baking dish. Cover with 1 cup cheddar cheese, broccoli, ham and remaining bread slices. Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Blend in milk and mustard. Pour over bread.
Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes or until set. Let stand for ten minutes before serving.
- Yields: six servings
- Preparation Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1 package Duncan Hines butter recipe cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripened bananas (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup salad oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease and flour 10 inch bundt or tube cake pan.
Combine cake mix, eggs, bananas, oil, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in large bowl. Beat at low speed until moistened, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in pecans. Pour into pan. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 25 minutes; invert onto cooling rack and cool completely.
- Yields: 12 to 16 servings
- Preparation time: 1 hour and 20 minutes