Short Rib Noodle Bowls
- 4 c. water
- 3-4 T. miso paste
- 1 (3-inch) stalk lemongrass, sliced
- 1 lb. short ribs — prepared in your preferred manner, bones removed, and sliced into thin strips
- 8 oz. spaghetti noodles or other long noodles, prepared using package instructions
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Thinly sliced red pepper
- Steamed broccoli flowerets
- Cubed, roasted butternut squash
- Thinly sliced radish
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
In a medium pot, combine the water, miso paste (choose your favorite variety), and lemongrass. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. When the miso is dissolved, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. If you happen to have any cooking liquid from preparing the ribs, you can add that to the pot when you reach the simmering stage.
Meanwhile, slice the ribs, prepare the noodles, and assemble the remaining ingredients into a buffet line. Allow your guests to grab a bowl (you'll want to use large bowl that allow for generous portions) and assemble their own noodle bowls.
Some tips for assembling noodle bowls: I like to add fresh greens to the bottom of my bowl and then layer hot noodles over them. Then I keep adding ingredients over the noodle to create a delicious, beautiful palette. When I am happy with the results, I add broth to the top of everything. If I feel like having my noodle bowl more like a soup, I add more broth. Less broth leaves it more like a fork/chopstick meal. Most often, I find a happy medium and use both chopsticks and a spoon. Enjoy!
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes