Make-Ahead Seafood Cakes
- 1 (5 oz.) can tuna, crab meat, or salad shrimp - drained
- 2 sliced green onions
- 1 egg
- 2 T. bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder - choose one with the level of heat you prefer
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1 T. lime juice
- 2 T. mayonnaise
- 2-3 T. fat for frying - I used a 50/50 mix of bacon fat and canola oil
Combine all of the ingredients except the frying fat in a small dish and stir until combined. Refrigerate until ready to fry. The mixture can be made up to a day in advance.
Using an ice cream disher, make little patties using the seafood mix. I recommend forming all of the patties in advance of heating the frying fat.
Place the frying fat in a medium-sized skillet and heat over medium-high heat. When the fat is hot, carefully set the patties into the the fat and fry on each side for 4 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and drain them briefly before serving alongside a simple salad and topped with your favorite hot sauce, mustard, relish, and/or dressing.
- Yields: 1-2 servings - can be easily multiplied
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes