Loaded Shepherd's Pie
- 2-3 baking potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1" cubes
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 mini sweet peppers, sliced thin
- 1/2 c. tomato sauce -- choose your favorite variety
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 c. cultured sour cream
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 c. shredded cheese -- choose your favorite variety or blend
- 3-4 green onions, biased sliced
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Scrub and cube the potatoes and boil them until they are soft enough to mash.
Meanwhile, fry the bacon and crumble it into small pieces. Set aside.
Using the skillet you fried the bacon in, brown the ground beef. When it's nearly done, add the onion, garlic, and sweet peppers and cook until the meat is entirely browned and the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture into the bottom of a large pie plate and set aside.
Mash the potatoes with the sour cream and garlic powder until you've reached your desired consistency. Using a spatula, layer the potatoes over the meat layer in the pie plate. Sprinkle the top of the potatoes with the crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. Bake the dish in the preheated oven for about a half hour or until the cheese is entirely melted and bubbly. Sprinkle the green onions over the top before serving.
- Yields: 4-6 servings
- Preparation Time: 1 hour