Cheesy Roasted Tomato Pasta
- 8 oz. low-fat string cheese, cut into small rounds
- 1/4 c. skim milk
- 1/3 c. Italian style bread crumbs
- 16 oz. penne pasta
- 2 c. coarsely chopped roasted tomatoes or chunky tomato sauce of your choice
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Set a silicone baking mat on a baking sheet and set aside.
To make the breaded cheese balls: Dip the cut cheese in the skim milk to evenly coat. Place the wet cheese pieces in a resealable container with the breadcrumbs, cover, and shake gently to evenly cover the cheese. Arrange the balls on the prepared baking sheet, leaving room around each ball, and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until the cheese balls are soft and the crumbs are slightly golden.
Meanwhile, boil the pasta according to the package instructions and warm the remaining ingredients in a large, nonstick skillet. When the pasta is al dente, drain it and toss it with the sauce in the skillet. Top with the melted cheese balls and serve immediately.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes