- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup whole-grain, quick-cooking brown rice (page 10)
- ¾ cup roasted red bell peppers (from a jar), drained and thinly sliced
- 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon powdered saffron
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion; cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in rice. Add red peppers, broth, and saffron; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. If paella has excess moisture, cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
- Makes 4 (1½cup) servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Per serving: 360 calories, 7 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 45 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 440 mg sodium