- 2 T. bacon fat
- 1 coarsely chopped onion
- 6-8 chopped sweet mini peppers
- 2 diced celery stalks
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. cajun-style seasoning -- choose a variety that appeals to you
- 2-3 chopped tomatoes
- 2 c. white rice
- 3 c. smoked chicken broth
- 1 lb. spicy smoked sausage -- cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 c. chopped smoked chicken
- Salt, to taste
In a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot, heat the bacon fat over medium heat until melted. Add the onion, pepper, celery, and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Add the cajun seasoning and stir well to evenly coat the veggies. Add the tomatoes, white rice, and smoked chicken broth and stir to combine. Fit the pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the smoked sausage and smoked chicken to the pot, stir again, and re-lid. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning prior to serving.
- Yields: 6-8 servings
- Preparation Time: 40 minutes