- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 3-inch piece cinnamon
- seeds from 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1.5 pounds large uncooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 one-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2.5 cups coconut milk
- 3 small hot green chiles (serranos), seeds & stems removed, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- cilantro leaves, slivered almonds for garnish
Heat the oil in a skillet. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
Add the ginger, onion, and garlic, and sauté until the onion is sort, about 3 minutes. Add the flour, almonds, and turmeric, and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stiffing constantly. Add the coconut milk, chiles, and sugar, and simmer for 10 minutes. Return the shrimp to the curry, add salt to taste, and simmer for about 8 minutes.
Add the lemon or lime juice, stir, and remove from the heat. Remove the bay leaves and the cinnamon. Serve over rice garnished with the cilantro leaves and the almonds.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes