- 1 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. baby beets or cubed larger beets
- 1 lb. peeled, cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp. coarse salt or seasoned salt
- 1-2 tsp. cooking fat (I used bacon fat)
- 1 large rainbow trout or salmon fillet, skin on (about a pound)
- 1-2 tsp. Smoky 4/S Special Seasoned Sea Salt or your favorite seasoning for fish
- 1 small bunch bok choy or, if you're lucky, tatsoi
- Splash of white wine or apple cider
- 2-3 T. smoked honey or regular honey mixed with 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
Preheat the oven to 400° F. Toss half the olive oil with the beets and the other half of the oil with the sweet potatoes. Place the oiled root vegetables on a large sheet pan so that they are not mixed. Sprinkle with the salt or seasoned salt and roast for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
While the vegetables are roasting, heat the cooking fat of your choice in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish, skin side down, and allow to sizzle there for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the top of the fish generously with the smoky seasoned salt or other seasoning before carefully flipping the fish over and sautéing another 3 minutes on that side. When the vegetables have roasted for 20 minutes, remove them from the oven, carefully stir them together and form a space in the center of the pan to place the fish there. Place the pan back into the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
While the fish and vegetables bake, toss the bok choy or tatsoi in the skillet you browned the fish in over medium-high heat until crisp-tender. Remove the sheet pan again from the oven and arrange the greens around the roasted root vegetables. Brush the fish gently with the smoked honey and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve the meal hot with your favorite chilled beverages.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes