- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted sliced pimientos with juice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1 dozen clams, scrubbed
- 1 dozen mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- Lemon wedges and fresh parsley, for serving and garnish
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Heat the olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic to the skillet and saute until they are beginning to brown, scraping up any browned bits, about 10 minutes. Stir in the rice, roasted pimientos with juices, and saffron. Add the clam juice and chicken stock to the skillet and bring the mixture to a simmer. Remove from the heat.
Add the scallops and peas. Stir to combine evenly with the rice mixture. Add the clams and mussels, sinking them into the hot rice mixture. Cover the skillet with a tight-fitting lid or aluminum foil.
Bake the paella until the rice is tender, about 40 minutes (discard any clams and mussels that do not open). Remove the lid or foil from the skillet. Let the paella stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
- Yields: 6 to 8 servings
- Preparation Time: 1 hour