- I start with the following vegetables which I dice and simmer in the bottom of a pot large enough to hold about half a bushel of tomatoes with about a cup of olive oil.
- 6 large red onions
- 8 leeks
- 2 heads celery
- 8-10 red peppers
- 1 quart basket of fresh chili peppers (optional)
- 3-4 heads garlic peeled and crushed
- salt and pepper to taste (a couple of handfuls of each)
- fresh basil (usually at least a couple of cups of leaves)
- fresh oregano (this is more a personal thing, I like to use about the same amount as I use of basil)
- fresh parsley (about half the amount of basil)
Vegetables to use:
Seasonings (this is a bit more tricky to give measurements for since I usually go "by eye"):
Let the vegetables all simmer until nicely wilted then add your tomatoes -- which you've already peeled and quartered. Bring it to a boil, add the seasonings, then let it simmer till some of the liquid cooks off. Pour it into sterilized jars and seal. Process in a boiling water bath.