- 6 oz. sliced portabella mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 8 oz. fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 8 oz. dried penne pasta
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. mild vinegar -- like rice vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp. chili pepper
- 2 oz. shaved parmesan cheese -- optional
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine the first six ingredients (mushrooms through salt) in an oven-proof baking dish. Toss well to coat. Bake for 30 minutes or until well-roasted, turning once while baking.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and reserve.
To make the sauce, combine the 1/4 cup olive oil with the 1/4 cup vinegar in a small saucepan. Whisk in the chili pepper and bring to a low simmer. Continue simmering until the liquid is reduced by about one third. Remove from the heat.
In a large bowl, combine the roasted vegetables, cooked pasta and hot sauce. Toss well to coat. If desired, sprinkle shaved parmesan over the top and serve either warm or cool.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes