- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms (such as oysters, cremini, button, Portobello, shitake) sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
Put a baking sheet on the middle shelf of the oven and heat the oven to 475ºF. Generously butter a 12-inch tart pan with removable bottom or a 12-inch pizza pan. Combine the potatoes, half the green onions, half the Parmesan and some pepper in a large bowl. Stir in half the eggs and mix until well blended.
Spread the potato mixture evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Put the tart on the preheated baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
Reduce the oven temperature to 375ºF. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the feta, milk, thyme and the remaining green onions, Parmesan, pepper and eggs.
Pour the mushroom mixture into the potato crust. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until set. Serve with a salad and a nice baguette for a wonderful brunch of lunch menu.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes