- 1 beef top round steak cut 1 inch thick (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 pounds medium unpeeled potatoes (I like to use Yukon golds)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup of a vinaigrette made with white wine (my recipe uses two parts virgin olive oil to one part wine vinegar and for this amount of dressing I would use 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper and 2 tsp. ground mustard, shake well in a jar with a tight fitting lid)
- 2 - 15oz. Cans black beans, rinsed and drained
Cut potatoes crosswise in half; place them in a microwave-safe dish with one cup water. Cover and microwave on HIGH 10 to 14 minutes or until almost tender, rearranging them once. Immediately rinse under cold running water; drain well.
Meanwhile, combine cumin and salt and pepper and press evenly into the steak. Place steak on the bbq over medium heat and grill, uncovered, 16 to 18 minutes (medium rare) turning only one or twice. Remove from bbq and let stand 5 minutes.
About 5 minutes before steak is done, brush potatoes with some of the vinaigrette. Place on the bbq around steak. Grill 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally.
Carve steak into thin slices. Combine beef, potatoes, beans, cilantro and remaining vinaigrette in large bowl and toss gently. Serve immediately with a nice crusty bread and a good merlot.
- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes