- 1⁄4 c. canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried epazote or thyme
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 canned chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1⁄2" cubes
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced roasted tomatoes in juice
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- For serving: sour cream, lime juice, pickled red onions, chopped chipotles in adobo sauce, pureed roasted jalapeno, sliced green onions, etc.
Heat the oil in a 6-qt. stockpot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and working in batches, add to pan, and cook, turning once, until it is browned on both sides and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let it cool; using a fork, finely shred the meat and set aside.
Return the stockpot to the heat, and add the onion and carrot; cook, stirring, until soft, about 8 minutes. Add the cumin, epazote or thyme, garlic, and chipotles, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved shredded chicken back to the pan along with the potatoes, stock, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Serve with your choice of condiments and enjoy!
- Yields: 6-8 servings
- Preparation Time: 1 hour