- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup masa harina (or additional cornmeal)
- 1/4 unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs well beaten
- 2 long hot green chiles, roasted, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet corn kernels and juices scraped from one medium ear
- 1 tbsp minced fresh oregano (if you can't get fresh, please just omit this, dried just won't do)
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted, plus butter for the griddle
In a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal, masa harina, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, green chiles, corn and juices, and oregano. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and partially combine. Add the melted butter and stir until just combined, do not over mix.
Warm a pancake griddle over medium heat. Butter it and working in batches, drop the batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto the heated griddle. Spread the batter into 3-inch rounds and cook about three minutes or until puffed and golden. Turn the cakes and cook until lightly coloured and cooked through, about two minutes more. Serve hot.
- Yields: Sixteen 3-inch cakes