- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 dessert spoon Dijon or other mild mustard
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 fresh or dry bay leaves
- 1 half onion
- 1 half lemon
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns black
- 4 chicken breasts (skinless)
- 1 small French, stick loaf or similar sliced at an angle into 1/2 inch
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 250 grams/4ozs salad leaves mixed
- 1 finely sliced red onion
- 4ozs raisins soaked in hot water for ten minutes
- 4 good ripe tomatoes sliced thickly
Whisk the vinegar and mustard together with the garlic, slowly add the olive oil while whisking and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make the salad:
Bring a pan of water to the boil with the bay leaves, 1/2 white onion, lemon and peppercorns. Carefully add the chicken and simmer gently until cooked, if you are unsure it is worth investing a few dollars in a meat thermometer. The temperature should be at least 75 celcius/167 Fahrenheit, put the sliced bread on a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt. Bake in a medium oven until crisp but soft in the middle.
Mix the leaves together with the onions and raisins. Turn in the salad dressing and put into 4 good-sized bowls. Place slices of tomato and bread alternately around the edge. Slice the warm chicken at an angle and put attractively on top of the salad. Sit back, enjoy and get someone else to do the washing up.