- 1/4 c. butter-flavored shortening
- 1 (18.25) pkg. chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 egg
- 2 T. water
- 1 c. finely chopped walnuts
- 48 chocolate star candies
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, mix the shortening into the cake mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the egg and water until a soft dough forms.
Shape the dough into 1/2-inch balls and roll them in the walnuts, pressing the nuts into the dough. Place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until puffed and nearly set. Place the chocolate stars in the center of each cookie and bake for a minute more. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Yields: 4 dozen cookies
- Preparation Time: about 30 minutes