- 2 T. bacon fat or other cooking fat
- 2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. curry powder (choose your favorite variety)
- 1 1/2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. half & half
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper, for garnish (optional)
- Fried onion, for garnish (optional)
- Chili oil, for garnish (optional)
Melt the cooking fat of your choice in a large stockpot. Add the cubed squash, onion, garlic, thyme, and curry powder. Sauté, stirring often, over medium-high heat until the onion and garlic are cooked and fragrant and the squash is slightly softened, about 15 minutes.
Carefully add the broth of your choice and the water. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the stockpot, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the squash is entirely softened. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until no chunks remain. Blend in the half & half and adjust the seasonings according to your tastes.
When serving the bisque, consider garnishing each both with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper and fried onions and a drizzle of chili oil.
- Yields: 3 servings
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes