- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
In a heavy skillet over medium heat, break up and brown the sausage until no longer pink; cool slightly.
Preheat the waffle maker.
While the sausage is browning, mix together in a large bowl the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and soda, sugar, salt, buttermilk, eggs, and butter; set aside.
Once the sausage is cooked and cooled slightly, add it and the cheese to the waffle batter; stir to combine.
Coat the waffle maker with nonstick cooking spray. Fill the hot waffle maker with batter, close the lid, and bake for about 3 minutes or until the batter is cooked through; repeat with the remaining batter.
If desired, top each waffle with a fried egg.
- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes