- 1 3/4 c. corn kernels (fresh, cut from the cob or frozen/thawed corn kernels)
- 2 tsp. crushed dried jalapeño (or 1/4 c. diced fresh - optional)
- 6 T. flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 T. milk
- 1 egg
- 2 c. chopped fresh tomatoes (I like to use a variety for flavor, texture, and color)
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 tsp. salsa & pico seasoning (or your favorite salsa spices)
- Cooking fat for frying hot cakes (I used bacon fat)
In a large bowl, combine the corn kernels, crushed dried jalapeño (or diced fresh), flour, baking powder, salt, red pepper flakes, ground pepper, milk, and egg. Stir until well incorporated.
Combine the next 4 ingredients (tomatoes through salsa & pico seasoning) in a serving bowl and allow to rest at room temperature while you prepare the hot cakes.
Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Brush liberally with the cooking fat of your choice. Drop the corn fritter batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto the hot griddle. Cook for 3 minutes per side. Remove to a serving plate and keep warm in a low oven. Serve warm with the fresh salsa.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes