- 2 cups buttermilk (add more as required for proper consistency)
- 2 eggs, not beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1-1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Stir together buttermilk, eggs, and oil or butter. Sift together flour baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Combine all ingredients. Stir gently with a wire whisk. Ladle onto a pre-heated, buttered griddle (hot enough for a drip of water to bounce.) Turn when golden brown. Cook other side to golden brown also.
Keep warm until a stack of aromatic pancakes causes a rising chorus of eager anticipation from the family at the table. Best kept warm by stacking the pancakes in a deep bowl, wrapped in a clean, dishtowel. Serve with heated maple syrup, diced fruits and berries.
- Yields: 12-14 pancakes
- Preparation Time: about half an hour