- 1 chicken (about 3 pounds) quartered or 3 pounds chicken parts
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Position the rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together Dijon mustard, basil and honey. Smear the skin of the chicken with Dijon mustard and honey mixture.
Arrange chicken skin side down in a shallow roasting pa or baking dish just large enough to hold it in a single layer. Sprinkle the pieces with finely chopped onions, bell peppers, butter, salt and pepper, and paprika. Pour orange and pineapple juice around the chicken.
Bake the chicken, basting once after 30 minutes. Turn the chicken skin side up and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake until the chicken is tender and golden, about 20 minutes longer. Add more orange juice or pineapple juice if the pan seems dry. Pour the juice into a small sauce pan and boil over high heat until it becomes syrupy. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: one hour