- 15g dried Chinese mushrooms
- 220g fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded or drained tinned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- freshly ground black pepper, or 5 pepper mixture
- 450g Aubergine
- 75ml olive oil, extra virgin
- 5 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon 5 aroma powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml water
Soak the mushrooms in warm water for about 20 min. drain and press the rest of the water out of them. Remove the stalks and discard them, cut the tops into fine strips.
Cut the fresh tomatoes into pieces about 1" in size, or the tinned tomatoes into small pieces.
Heat a large frying pan, pour in the olive oil, add the ginger, salt and pepper, and fry the ginger for about a minute, until it is slightly brown. Add the tomatoes and sugar, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 min. Remove from the cooker and place to the side.
Cut the Aubergines diagonally in 1/2 inch thick slices
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, when it has reached a middle temperature add the garlic and fry for about 1/2 a minute, add the Aubergine slices, the 5 aroma powder, salt and pepper and fry for a further 2 minutes.
Now add the tomato sauce, the mushrooms and water, cook for about 5 minutes, reduce the heat and simmer for another 15 minutes till the Aubergines are soft. Serve straight away. Goes well with a main dish of pork medallions and freshly baked rye bread.