- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup unsweetened apple cider
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add squash, cover, and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add broth and simmer until softened, 15 to 20 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer solid ingredients to a blender with apple cider and purée until smooth. Add 1? cups of the cooking liquid and purée until smooth. Stir back into the pan. Serve hot.
- Makes 6 (1 1/2-cup) servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Per serving: 160 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 6 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 135 mg sodium