- 4 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 4 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- Whipped cream for serving (optional)
Heat oven to 375° F. Lightly butter a 2-quart casserole or baking dish. Stir together bread crumbs and butter; set aside.
Combine apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, ginger, and cinnamon, mixing until well blended. To assemble brown betty, spread 1 cup of buttered bread crumbs in bottom of casserole; top with one third of apple mixture. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sherry over apple layer, if desired. Spread another cup bread crumbs and top with half of remaining apples and another tablespoon sherry. Make third layer of one cup of bread crumbs and top with remaining apples and sherry. Spread remaining bread crumbs on top of apples.
Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes; uncover and bake 30 minutes longer. Cool until warm and serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation Time:1 hour and 15 minutes