- 5 or 6 medium potatoes, cooked or microwaved in their skins
- 1 cup low-fat milk or soymilk
- 4 average slices whole-grain bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash or other salt-free
- herb-and spice seasoning mix
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Once the cooked potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them and place them in a large mixing bowl. Coarsely mash the potatoes with 1/2 cup of the milk or soymilk.
Cut the bread into 1/2-inch dice. Place them in a small mixing bowl and pour the remaining milk over them. Soak for several minutes.
In the meantime, heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add the onion and celery and saute over low heat until the onion is lightly browned and the celery is tender.
Combine the onion and celery mixture with the mashed potatoes in the large mixing bowl. Stir in the soaked bread, parsley, and seasoning mix. Season to taste with salt and lots of pepper. Pour the mixture into a well-oiled, 2-quart baking dish. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top is a crusty golden brown.
- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes