July 4th is almost here, and generally it is pretty difficult for us vegetarians to join in the fun of a celebration barbecue.NOT THIS YEAR!
Go to the supermarket display case where margarine and egg substitutes are offered, and you will find the following items:
- Breakfast strips (Vegetarian Bacon)
- Breakfast links (Vegetarian sausages)
- Breakfast patties (Vegetarian sausage patties)
- Garden burgers (ALL kinds and flavors of burgers! We added Monterey Jack
cheese to ours!)
- "Chik" nuggets (Mini chicken croquettes)
- Veggie Dogs (Vegetarian Franks)
- "Chik" Patties (Vegetarian "chicken" patties)
- Pizza with vegetarian sausages
You may think that these items taste funny, but let me tell you, not only do they smell, look and taste like the original article, but they smell, look and taste ENOUGH like the original article to deceive my cats! And my cats are finicky. I had to be really creative about eating these things before I was ripped off by the feline Dalton Gang!
There are several brands of these products. Most of them come in little boxes, but not the franks. They come in a little clear wrap, just like the original hot dogs. We went nuts looking for them, until we realized this.
So go have your July 4th Celebration without guilt, fellow vegetarians! You're not missing anything any more!
For your quick vegetarian barbecue:
- 1 whole box of hamburger style garden burger
- 1 bottle of ketchup or mustard
- 4 slices of Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 package of hamburger rolls
One at a time, place a garden burger on a microwave plate and cook for 90 seconds on high. Add the slice of cheese, place into a roll, and heat for 20 seconds on high. Don't overcook the roll, or you will be able to use it for a Frisbee.Now for this month's recipes.
- 12 fresh large mushrooms
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch angle-sliced pieces
- 3 tablespoons salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 cherry tomatoes
Place mushrooms in a bowl. Pour boiling water over them; let stand 1 minute, and drain. Take four skewers, and alternately place the mushrooms and zucchini. Combine Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and salad dressing and salt. Grill kebabs over medium coals for about 12 minutes, turning and brushing them frequently with the salad dressing mixture. Add cherry tomatoes to the ends of the skewers, and grill 5 to 8 minutes more, continuing to brush on the salad dressing mixture.
- Yields: 4 servings
- 1 box of soft taco shells
- 1 (8oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 package of shredded cheese
- 1 can of vegetarian beans
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon of grated cheese
Pour tomato sauce into a measuring cup. Place taco shells flat on microwave plates. Add the tomato sauce, shredded cheese, vegetarian beans, and grated cheese. Add the salt, oregano, pepper, garlic powder. Cook for 3 minutes (each mini-pizza) in the microwave, on high.