Turkey-Kale-White Bean Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups turkey stock
- 1.5 cups diced turkey
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 - 15.5 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 c. chopped celeriac or 1/3 c. chopped celery
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chopped kale
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about four to five minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add them and the oil they were cooked in to a slow cooker.
Add the turkey stock, turkey, tomatoes, beans, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf to the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker on LOW and simmer for 4 hours.
Add the kale to the slow cooker about 30 minutes before you are ready to serve the soup. When the kale is wilted and bright green, ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately.
- Yields: 4-6 servings
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes hand-on time, plus 4 hours of cooking time