Thai Chicken Soup
- 1 T. canola oil
- 1-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 T. finely chopped hot pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1-2 T. red thai curry paste
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 c. chicken stock - I used smoked chicken stock
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemon grass(white part only)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. light soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free version)
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 cup diced chicken — I used smoked chicken
- 1/2 cup snow peas, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt, to taste
- Sriracha & green onions, for serving
In a stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped ginger, garlic, and hot pepper; sauté for 1 minute. Add the cumin and coriander powder and the curry paste; sauté for another minute over medium heat.
Add the tomato and cook until it is softened, about 5 minutes.
Pour in the stock and coconut milk. Add the crushed lemon grass stalk. Once it starts to bubble, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Season the broth with lemon juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, and soy sauce (or tamari). Add the chili flakes, chicken, and snow peas; simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust any seasonings and serve topped with sriracha and green onions.
- Yields: 4-6 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes