- 1 loaf French bread, bias-sliced into 1" slices
- 1 T. olive oil, butter, or bacon fat
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
- 6-8 small sweet peppers, sliced into rings
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 oz. chèvre
Slice the French bread as directed above and lightly toast it in a 300° F oven. Set aside until ready to serve.
In a large, nonstick skillet, heat the fat of your choice until hot and add the onions, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until all of the vegetables are softened and lightly browned. The vegetables will render a lot of liquid into the pan, but the heat of the stovetop should cook off most of that liquid and allow browning to occur. If this isn't happening, increase the temperature a bit, but be cautious about burning or charring the vegetables. Add the seasonings in the last minute or two of cooking.
To serve, arrange several slices of the toasted bread on a plate and generously spoon the sautéed vegetables over the bread. Carefully slide rounds of chèvre over the warm vegetables. Serve while warm.
- Yields: 3-5 servings
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes