Springy Spring Rolls
- 12 spring roll wrappers
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 3" long strips
- 6 mini cucumbers, trimmed and cut into 3" long strips
- 1 bunch of asparagus, steamed and cut into 3" pieces
- 6 oz. fully cooked crabmeat, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- Small bunch of sorrel or cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 small scallions, green part thinly sliced
- Black sesame seeds, for garnishing
Fill a large pie pan with about 1″ of warm water. Submerge 1 spring roll wrapper in the water completely, wait for it to soften for about 10 seconds, then place the sheet on a clean work surface. I like to use a silicone baking mat, as the wrappers don't stick to it and you can lift parts of it to make rolling easier.
Stack two strips of the red bell pepper, cucumbers, and asparagus in the lower 1/3 section of each sheet, towards the center. Place 1-2 teaspoons of the chopped crabmeat between the vegetables. Add some of the shredded carrots on top of the stack. Scatter some chopped sorrel or cilantro and sliced green onions on top of the stack to finish. Roll up the spring roll and fold the right and left sides of the wrapper in towards the center of the roll. Continue rolling upwards (away from you) until you get a completed roll.
Repeat the rolling process for all of the rolls. You can make them ahead of time and store them, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator before serving. Serve sprinkled with black sesame seeds and your favorite dipping sauces or make your own.
- Yields: 12 rolls
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes