Spicy Seared Salmon Over Curried Lentils
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 c. finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 c. finely chopped carrot
- ½ yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 small tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 2 (6-ounce) wild salmon fillets
- Berbere seasoning - to suit your spice/flavoring preferences
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook 3-4 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the carrot and yellow bell pepper. Continue to cook 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are very soft. Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder, stir several times and cook for less than a half minute or until the mixture is fragrant. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Add the lentils, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered 20 minutes or until lentils are very tender, adding more broth as necessary.
Cook the salmon while the lentils cook. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat the salmon fillets well on all side with the Berbere seasoning.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven and bake 10 minutes or to an internal temperature of 145 degrees and salmon easily flakes with a fork.
Adjust the seasoning as needed before serving the fish over the lentils.
- Yields: 2 servings
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes