Spicy Harvest Lentil Soup
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 tsp. hot curry powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/4 c. coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crème fraîche and fried onions, for garnish (optional)
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy stockpot. Add the onion, carrot, and red pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are sweating and giving off some liquid. Add the lentils and seasonings (curry powder and smoked paprika); sauté another 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth; place a lid over the pot and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup to make a thick, consistent mixture. If you do not have an immersion blender, the soup can also carefully be transferred to a regular blender and processed in small batches (do this in small batches to avoid building up too much steam in the blender). You can also skip this step entirely, although your soup will have a much chunkier texture.
Add the zucchini, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper; place the lid back on the stockpot and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the zucchini is softened. Serve warm garnished with crème fraîche and fried onions, if desired.
- Yields: 8-10 servings
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes