Slow Cooker Sausage & Kale Soup
- 1 lb. sausage -- browned (I chose a pork-bacon variety I enjoy, but choose whichever variety makes sense for you and your family)
- 1 onion, peeled and loosely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. dried mixed beans, rinsed and sorted to remove any debris
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 c. loosely chopped kale
- 1 c. half & half
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, to taste
Brown the sausage in a pan and place in your slow cooker.
Add the onion, garlic, dried beans, and chicken broth. If needed, add just enough water to cover everything in the pot.
Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 5-6 hours or until the beans and onions are soft. 30 minutes prior to serving, add the kale and half & half to the pot, stir.
Cook an additional 30 minutes and add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Serve hot.
- Yields: 5-6 servings
- Preparation Time: 6-7 hours