Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs — trimmed
- 6-8 mini-sweet peppers, sliced into rings
- ⅓ cup soy sauce (choose Tamari for a GF option or Tiger Sauce for a GF/soy free option)
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 T. orange juice
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 1 T. sriracha sauce
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Rice (for serving)
- Black sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- Scallions (optional garnish)
Place the chicken in a single layer at the bottom of a slow cooker. There is no need to thaw the chicken if you are using individually flash frozen thighs. Sprinkle the sliced peppers evenly over the chicken.
Place all of the remaining ingredients (except for the rice and garnishes) in a bowl and whisk until combined into a sauce. Pour the sauce over the chicken and peppers; turning once to ensure even coating.
Cook the chicken in the slow cooker on low for 4 hours. Carefully stir the chicken to break it into smaller pieces and distribute the sauce. If the sauce is too thin, sprinkle a little quick cooking tapioca over the top, stir to combine, and allow the slow cooker to cook the chicken for another 30 minutes.
Serve the chicken over hot cooked rice and garnished with sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
- Yields: 4-6 servings
- Preparation Time: 4-5 hours