Musgo Salmon Salads
- 2 golden beets, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 small zucchini, ends removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 T. canola oil
- 8 oz. boneless, skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tsp. spicy seasoned salt blend -- choose your favorite variety
- 1 T. bacon fat
- Generous handful frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp. finely diced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 T. rice wine vinegar
- 3-4 c. mixed greens
- Generous handful shredded jicama
- 1 small heirloom tomato, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 T. crumbled goat cheese
Preheat the oven to 400° F. In a shallow roasting dish, toss the beets and zucchini with the canola oil. Roast the vegetables in the oven for 30 minutes or until they are softened and a little caramelized.
While the veggies are roasting, rub the salmon fillets well with your chosen spice blend and set aside. Melt the bacon fat in a large nonstick skillet and add the fillets to the melted fat. Sear on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side, depending on your desired level of rareness. When the salmon is done to your liking, remove it from the pan and set it on a plate for use later. Add the peas to the still hot pan and sauté them for a minute or two before adding the diced pepper and rice vinegar. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside for use later.
To plate the salads, place an equal amount of greens on two serving plates. Add the shredded jicama, warm roasted vegetables, and sliced tomatoes. Carefully lay a seared salmon fillet over the top of each plate and drizzle generously with the reserved peas and sauce from the skillet. Crumble some goat cheese over the top of each plate and serve immediately.
- Yields: 2 servings
- Preparation Time: 40 minutes