Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 c. high quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 T. strongly brewed coffee, cooled
- 1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
Place the heavy whipping cream in a large bowl. Add cocoa powder and ground cinnamon and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form. Drizzle in the sweetened condensed milk. Fold in the whipped topping.
Transfer half of the mixture into a shallow, airtight plastic container. Combine the remaining ingredients (chocolate hazelnut spread through cayenne) to make a rich, chocolaty, spicy sauce. Carefully spoon the sauce over the mixture already in the plastic container and smooth to all of the edges. Cover the spicy chocolate sauce carefully with the remaining whipped cream mixture.
Seal the container and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours to allow the mixture to completely solidify. To serve, scoop through all three layers, creating a dark stripe of spicy chocolate in each scoop. Store any leftovers in the freezer.
- Yields: 6 (1 cup) servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes plus several hours freezing time