Maple-Toffee Apple Crumble Bars
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned-whole rolled oats
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crushed toffee pieces
- About 4 cups small diced apples (from about 4 medium apples, peeled and cored)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
For the crust and crumble, in a large bowl, add the brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, and cut in the butter with two forks. Keep working until mixture is combined and pea-sized crumbly bits are present. Press 2 1/2 cups of the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Add the toffee pieces to the remaining mixture, stir to combine, and set aside.
Peel, core, and dice the apples and place in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and toss well to combine. Sprinkle the fruit evenly over the crust layer already in the baking pan. Sprinkle the reserved crumble mixture over the apples.
Bake for about an hour, or until crumble topping is just set and very lightly golden browned. Place pan on a wire rack to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Yields: 24 bars
- Preparation Time: 80 minutes