Coconut Chicken Salads with Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1/4 c. flaked coconut
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. panko
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 2-3 T. canola oil, for frying
- 8-10 oz. mixed gourmet salad greens - even better if you have some flower petals in the mix!
- 1 T. sweet honey mustard
- 1 tsp. spicy mustard
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. plain lowfat yogurt
- Olive oil, for thinning - optional
Combine the coconut, garlic, paprika, salt, and black pepper in a food processor, blender, or mortar and pestle. Process as needed to form a fine seasoning mixture. Using a fork, combine this mixture with the panko and place in a small, shallow dish. Carefully dredge the chicken strips in the mixture and fry in a medium-sized pan in the canola oil. Use medium or medium-high heat. Too much heat will burn the breading easily. Remove the pieces of chicken to a plate to drain a little.
Arrange the mixed gourmet salad greens on 2 serving plates. Carefully arrange the cooked chicken over the greens.
Combine the remaining ingredients (sweet honey mustard through olive oil, if your dressing is too thick) in a small jar with a lid. Seal the jar and shake vigorously to combine. This is an excellent job for a youngster in the kitchen, by the way. Once the dressing is of the consistency you prefer, drizzle it lightly over your salads and serve immediately.
- Yields: 2 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes