- 1 lb. parsnips, peeled & chopped
- 1 lb. broccoli, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 c. chopped celeriac (or finely diced celery)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 1 qt. vegetable, chicken, or turkey broth
- 1 T. salt
- 2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 c. half & half
- Crumbled bacon & bleu cheese, for garnish (optional)
Combine all of the ingredients except the half & half in a large crockpot. Stir gently and cover. Set the slow cooker on LOW and allow to simmer for 7-9 hours.
After the vegetables are soft and fully cooked, blend the soup until no chunks remain. I use an immersion blender, but you could also transfer the soup, in batches, to a stand-alone blender. Once all of the soup is blended (and returned to the slow cooker, if you used a stand-alone blender), stir in the half & half and warm gently before serving.
If desired, garnish each bowl of soup with crumbled bacon and bleu cheese.
- Yields: 6-8 servings
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes, plus simmering time