Basic Stuffed Mushrooms
- 8 oz. whole mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 tsp. olive oil (or other cooking fat)
- Stuffing items (see below)
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Finely chop the stems from the mushrooms.
In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil or cooking fat of your choice and stir-fry the chopped mushroom stems until softened and lightly browned. If desired add the seasonings of your choice.
Arrange the mushroom caps, cavities facing upward, in a baking dish.
To make the stuffing, combine the cooked, chopped mushroom stems with any number of items you are likely to have on hand. This is an excellent way to use small quantities of ingredients you have on hand and haven't used. Some examples include:
- crushed potato chips, crackers, or pretzels
- cream cheese, shredded cheese, or mayonnaise
- crushed garlic, diced onion, or sliced green onion
- diced peppers, roasted vegetables, or salsa
Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft and the filling is set. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Yields: 3-4 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes