Baked Blueberry-Challah French Toast
- 1 large loaf challah (or other hearty bread), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (unthawed)
- 7 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
Lightly grease a 9x9-inch pan. Arrange half of the bread cubes in the bottom of the pan. Layer the cream cheese cubes and frozen berries evenly over the bread cubes. Top with the remaining bread cubes.
In a large bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread cubes. Press the bread cubes slightly down to absorb the milk/egg mixture. Sprinkle the top of the bread evenly with brown sugar, cover the pan, and refrigerate overnight. (Or skip this step and continue with the baking steps.)
In the morning, remove the french toast from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350° F. Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 22-30 minutes or until fluffy and golden. Serve with maple syrup and additional fruit, if desired.
- Yields: 4-6 servings
- Preparation Time: About an hour