All the Alarms Veggie Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1-2 dried peppers (use the variety you prefer; we favor habaneros for a lot of heat)
- 3 cups diced sweet potato
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (I like to use fire-roasted tomatoes)
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Add the diced bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the peppers soften and the onions become translucent.
Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, and dried pepper(s) and cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
Add the sweet potatoes, black beans, frozen corn, diced tomatoes, and vegetable or chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
Lower the heat, bring to a simmer, and cook (covered) for about 30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are very tender. Remove the lid and simmer for 10 more minutes or until the chili has thickened slightly.
Ladle chili into bowls and serve with toppings of your choice. Great choices include shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and sliced green onions.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation Time: About an hour